Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Career - Getting Your First Job

Many people that I have known found it difficult to pick up a job when they graduated from college. In retrospect, I don’t find that hard to believe. Without work experience, internships, and undergraduate research, it is difficult to present yourself purposefully in a resume when looking for the perfect job. So my advice to you – start early and don’t lose confidence.

When I was a Junior in college, I found it difficult to secure an internship for myself. I tried applying all over the place – mostly whatever I found on my college’s internship and career center webpage, however, much to no avail. I was fortunate to be invited to several interviews that seemed promising, but they never amounted to anything. I wanted to give up, but my aunt suggested that I apply for an internship position at her company. With her recommendation, I was able to secure a position as a food science intern. Although it was far from my engineering curriculum, I thought I might as well give it a shot. As it turns out, I enjoyed my experience away from engineering, being able to work from a non-technical perspective. I learned how to conduct myself within a corporate environment as well as becoming familiar with a 9 to 5 job.

As it turns out, my internship experience helped me get my current job at an environmental firm. Although seemingly irrelevant, I presented my perspective of learning to be highly detail oriented as well as being accountable to my work as an intern. Additionally, my internship experience gave me valuable prior work references that I was able to present at my interview.

When you are searching for an internship or on-campus job, find something that you enjoy and aim for that as your goal. If you aren’t able to obtain that yet, keep trying. Don’t expect to get everything the way you want easily. I had to send my resume to dozens of recruiters before I even heard back from one. If you’ve given a good attempt to get something you desire and still fail, don’t be afraid of taking a job out of your major field. Experience is a crucial tool that you can use to leverage yourself into a job that you really want. After all, its not like you have to stick with it forever. I was content enough with the extra pocket money and the right to claim I was paid to eat.

No comments: