Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Dealing With a Low GPA

Having a low GPA in college is a harsh reality some students have to face and creates a frustrating experience, especially when you're looking to get hired. As a junior, I had a 2.5 GPA and decided to attend my first career fair. I had created a very bare boned resume that included only high school experience along with a part time job. Suffice to say, it was a very disappointing experience. All of the top hiring companies at the career fair had a minimum GPA requirement and if you were brave enough to talk to a recruiter anyways it was always the first topic of discussion. It was very defeating to know that your resume would end up on the "trash" pile and realizing your future was looking bleak.

So how did I overcome a low GPA?

Study Habits

If you're serious about your career, then getting that GPA up should be a number one priority. Reevaluate your current study habits since they're most likely not working for you. I have to admit that I did not take studying so seriously during the first half of my college career and I paid for it with my GPA. I began changing my study habits until I found a method that was effective for me. By graduation I was able to raise my GPA to a 2.8 and even though it's still below the highly regarded 3.0 standard, it was a much better position to be in. If an interviewer is very interested in your GPA an improvement can only be positive.

Gaining Experience

I came away from the career fair knowing that I didn't have enough experience on my resume and felt that I had an opportunity to improve in this area. One of options to gain experience while in school, was to help a professor with academic research. It was a good way to expose me more to my major and work closely with a professor. Adding this research experience provided a very positive boost for my resume and created a spring board for conversations with recruiters at following career fairs. This opens more doors and shows that you're being active in pursuing relevant experience in your major.

Networking

Joining professional societies and school organizations provides a lot of unique opportunities to interact with industry. Building a relationship with someone from industry allows you too learn more about the business as well as gaining inside information on hiring needs of the company. A recommendation from someone currently working at the company will give you the leg up and provide an opportunity you may not be able to get through applying alone.

Determination

Giving into defeat is never an option in the real world and shouldn't be an option for you either. Though there will be plenty of blood, sweat, and tears; the rewards are well worth it.

No comments: