Friday, August 8, 2008

Soul Searching

At about this time of the year, when I was a sophomore, I was dreading the fact that school was starting again because it forced me to face the reality that I was under Academic Probation. I was under Academic Probation for the second time during the Spring Quarter of my freshmen year, and the summer break had allowed me to forget about my worries. I was conflicted on what I had to do for my future career. Was engineering just not the right fit? How do I deal with changing majors? Would switching schools be the worst thing? These were some of the many questions racing through my head. The reality was that I should have just switched majors but I was too ashamed to think that I would fail my parent's expectations to consider it a real option. I decided to bite the bullet and stick with my major and hope for the best.

In retrospect, I should have given more thought towards changing my major to something that was more enjoyable and better suited for me. Though I was able to survive through a rigorous engineering curriculum, it was a difficult journey that made me doubt myself on more than one occasion. Being on Academic Probation should have been a sign that I needed to either change my study habits or that this major was not for me. I am currently working as an engineer now but find myself leaning away from it more and more. My regrets of course was that I was not able to pursue something I would have enjoyed. But these are the choices in life we make.

If you are currently on academic probation or finding that your major wasn't what you were expecting, make sure to think long and hard about your future. Don't worry about what others think and find what's right for you.

No comments: